Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lessons Learned [part one of many]

Never in my life have I had an experience teach me, push more, or break me more than the things I've experienced since we began the adoption process. During these past 10 months I've learned so much about my Savior, myself, and about my friends and family.

I wouldn't be being honest if I didn't tell you that this process has been challenging. That it has been downright hard at times.

Mark and I took the proverbial leap of faith by sending in our first adoption application last May. We had many expectations, but truly did not know what was coming to us.

And frankly, we still don't.

We lept off the edge and are currently in free fall.

We're in that place where we are absolutely certain that we will meet the ground. But will we meet the ground with our parachute open or will we meet a horrific, unsightly end?

I don't mean to overdramatize it. Of course we will not physically become a mangled mess if things don't go right. But our finances, our emotions, our relationships, our faith - these things could be seriously destroyed.

And let me tell you, my friends, this is a alarmingly long free-fall. It's been ten months now, and at least that much more. It's a long time to live in-limbo. A long time to feel so uncertain about what will come next.

We've put it all on the line, and now we are trusting the one who has promised to always finish the good work that He begins.

And I know without a shadow of a doubt that my God cares for the orphan. That this work, this good, emotional, frustrating, hard, hard, hard work is His.

I know that this whole crazy idea was His. Not mine.

Somedays, I just want to meet the ground - parachute or not - and get it over with. (splat) But God has promised me so much more. So. Much. More. If I will continue to trust and move forward and let the one who has it all under control decide when it's time to open that parachute and glide to safety.

No comments: