Monday, March 15, 2010

Impact 2010

Between the ages of 5 and 17 I was blessed to attend a Christian school here in Colorado Springs. I truly believe that my Christian education made all the difference in my life.

Today, I am blessed to still be involved with this school and its precious students.

Usually, I'm at the school coaching volleyball, but today I had a different opportunity.
I got to be a part of Impact 2010.

On this Monday, the entire school took a break from academics and spent the day serving our community. The entire student body - all 200+ of them - spread out to 20 different locations to paint, clean, love, serve, sort, give, shovel, work, and bless.

I accompanied some of my volleyballers to a retirement home.

The day started with sweet, sweet hymn singing.
One woman requested that we sing "How Great thou Art" - twice.
She wept while we sang.
Later, she shared with me that this hymn was sung at her daughter's funeral and has brought her much hope and comfort.
After the singing, we moved on to game-playing and lunch.

This is Elsie.
Elsie couldn't hear a thing.
Not a single thing.
But when she rolled a Yahtzee, there was much celebration.
We ended the afternoon with a trip to the green house down the street.
It was a beautiful day for a visit and every girl - young and old - left with a rose.
It was a fabulous day, but my favorite part was listening to the girls talk on the way home about their desires to go back and volunteer again. They were blessed in their service.
I love that.

No comments: