Sunday, April 4, 2010

One-A-Day

I've read the accounts of many adoptive families as they waited to be matched with their child. I've learned about the agony of the wait and the pain that comes from feeling like it will never end. I understand - over the past 10 months, I've experienced many of these emotions already.

But can I just be a little honest here?

Right now - now that we have our sights set on the month of February - I'm feeling a little bit nervous that this time is just going to fly by.

You see, at the end of this wait is a major life-change for us. And, while I am excited for that change, it is still a MAJOR LIFE CHANGE. As I watch myself heading toward parenthood and all the responsibilities, joys, and challenges that it brings, 10 months just doesn't seem like very long at all.

I'm sure that there are many adoptive parents out there who are exclaiming at this very moment that I am delusional - wanting me to know that 10 months might as well be eternity and that I should prepare myself for a lot of heartache.

I know this. I know these next 10 months will be emotional and that we will experience highs and lows, hope and disappointment.

But I want to do my best to enjoy this time.

I want to
read books,
take long runs,
sleep in,
enjoy my nieces and nephews,
scrapbook,
stay out late,
and be spontaneous.

Because in about a year, things are going to look a little (a lot) different for us.

So I've issued a little challenge to myself - to capture this time by taking one photo every day until we bring our baby home.

I believe that this project will encourage me to find something interesting about each day and I hope to grow and develop my photography skills too. (And I'm thinking that after this year, I won't take another photograph that doesn't have my baby in it. Isn't that how it goes?)

And I have a vision of sitting down with our little guy one day, showing him these photos, and telling him about all of the things we did to prepare our lives and hearts to love and care for him.

While I can't promise to get every photo posted here right on time, I can promise that I will let you see each one and I do hope you enjoy them.

Now, shall we take bets on how many photos I will post before all is said and done?

I'm guessing 435. You?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is such a great idea! Make sure you get lots and lots of photos of you sleeping in! ;) So happy for you!

The Mathews Family said...

Great idea! (and welcome to the wait list!)

Courtney said...

That's awesome & I absolutely LOVE that idea!!! Can't wait to see all of your cool daily photos. What a great challenge to push yourself as a photographer too. =)

-T- said...

435 days isn't until May I think. :o) I vote 320 days. It was the best day of my life, maybe it will be the best day of yours! (2-16)

Shannon Plumb said...

What a great idea! LOVE this post! WE have just hit the 6 month mark on the wait list and I have pledged to do the same thing! Enjoy this time now because one day, we will miss this time and want it back! Welcome to the waitlist!
Shannon

Joan said...

The more I read your blog the more I learn about you and I love it...and you! Mom

Joan said...

The more I read your blog, the more I learn about you and I love it...and you!

Mom

Shell said...

Love it... And, look forward to seeing God work in and through you during this process. It's so touching to know that your son will have a written account of the time you and Mark spent looking forward to his joining your family and falling in love with him...