Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's all Greek to Me

After two months, I'm still mucking through the second semester of Algebra II with one of my students. Some days, I pat myself of the back for figuring this mess out. Other days - like today - I give up.

For example;

Here's what the problem says:
"Jane wants to find the height of a mountain. From some spot on the ground, she finds the angle of elevation to the top of the mountain to be 35° 20'. After moving 1,000 m closer to the mountain, she now finds the angle of elevation to be 50° 30'. Find the height of the mountain to three significant digits."

Here's what I see when I look at this problem:"Jane is hiking in the woods. She finds some spot on the ground and decides to eat lunch. After buttering her bread, Jane decides she would rather wear her hair in a ponytail. She now finds a sheet of rainbow stickers in her back pocket. Determine three significant things that Jane will accomplish with the rest of her life."

WHAAAATTT?

Dear Algebra II,
You are very difficult and you are making my brain tired.
Please stop.
I am sick of you.
Love,
Becky

1 comment:

Brockman said...

Isn't it obvious? Jane will be a sticker collector (1), be a hair stylist (2) and chef at a little restaurant called "In the woods"(3).