Monday, October 12, 2009

One Hundred Forty-Three Million MINUS One

A couple of months ago, my creative and talented husband came up with the idea of selling reusable shopping bags to help raise money for our adoption.

It sounded like such a simple idea.

Turns out, it was a little more difficult than we thought.

So since then, we've been planning, and working, and writing, and designing....

...and TADA!!!!

The bags are here and ready for purchase.

Throughout this entire process, our desire has never been to save a nation or to change the world. We simply want to change one child. We want to reach out to one little boy and make him ours.

There are 143,000,000 orphans in this world. Too many to count. Too many to comprehend.

But in 18 months, THERE WILL BE ONE LESS.

143,000,000 (-) 1

It's just one, but this one is so important to us.

And I guess we are asking you to make him important to you too.

I dream of the day when we will be able to say to our son, "You matter so much that 100 people worked together to put you into our family. You. are. so. loved."

We have received so much love and support. I get a bit blurry in the eyes when I think of all of the people who are already excited about this little guy. All of the people who are ready to love and squeeze and cherish him.

Thank you. Thank you all for that.

And if you feel so inclined, if you want to move us closer to the day when he will be in our arms, please consider purchasing a shopping bag...or five...or ten.

You will find a place to purchase them in the sidebar on the right.

(Yes, I realize that you can get these for $1 at Wal-Mart...but, well, Wal-Mart is not trying to adopt a baby.)

And please, keep following our story and learning about adoption and praying for orphans and dreaming about our little guy. He will be here oh-so-soon.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i love these and i'm getting one!!

SPEAKIN' FREELY said...

Is this yours and Marks design...this is beautiful and made me have goosebumps. You both are so amazing and I think that what you are doing is inspiring, humbling and a true blessing. I will of course have one, how could I NOT!

Lizard said...

LOVE this idea, just did a post for you!

amy said...

becky,
i LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! we are beginning our adoption journey as well. would you mind sharing with me more of the details behind how you made this idea a reality?

again, brilliant.

amy
asanders268@bellsouth.net

Lizard said...

what agency are you working with?

Brockman said...

Beck, this is such a fab idea. I will be home in April (for Easter) and I would like to buy a bag then. All the best on this journey.
P.S. I wouldn't care if the bags at Wally Mart were 50 cents, I HATE WM. But LOVE what you and Mark are doing.
Becky B

Wendi said...

I just purchased a bag. I adopted my daughter 4 yrs ago from China.

I posted this on my fb page. This is what I wrote:
"Adoption is very near and dear to me. Without the miracle of adoption I wouldn't be a mom! There is a family trying to bring home their son from Ethiopia. You can help by purchasing a reusable grocery bag for $12. Not a lot when you think that there will be one less child to wonder how it feels to have a mother's love!"

Hope all the family and friends that have been touched by my Megan will help you out!