Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Five Weeks to Better Shooting

I’m trying something new. A little challenge for myself you might say.

And you, whether you like it or not, get to see what I’m doing. In fact, I need you to see what I’m doing or else this challenge won’t work at all.

You see, I have a habit of using my camera like a machine gun. I set up the shot, clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick, and then just hope I nailed the shot right in the bull’s-eye.

And the whole problem is that I’ve stopped really seeing things through my camera. Stopped really looking at what I’m photographing.

It’s no surprise at all that I’m often disappointed with my photos.

I’ve got to break that habit.

So, here’s my challenge; for five weeks, I’m only allowing myself one shot each day. Not one photo – no, one shot. One click of the shutter.* And whatever it is, whatever comes of it, I have to show it to you. Blurry, overexposed, misaligned, and all.

But I know myself – I know that because I have to show it, I’ll be more careful with the shot in the first place.

Which is the whole point.

To be more careful.

To be more intentional.

To look.

Here’s what came of week number one. Honestly, I love some of these photos and others make me cringe.

And if you don’t mind, visit me for the next four Wednesdays and I’ll let you see more.

Maybe, just maybe, some of you have also become machine-gunners. Would you like to take this challenge with me? I would LOVE to see how it’s going. Link-up in the comments section!







If you don’t mind, I would love for you to visit me for the next four Wednesdays so that I can show your more.

And maybe, just maybe, some of you have also become machine-gunners. Would you like to take this challenge with me? I would LOVE to see how it’s going. Link-up in the comments section!

*Obviously, if I’ve been hired for a job, I’m not going to take just one photo. I’m talkin’ personal photography here.

3 comments:

Emily said...

the one of the logs in the snow would make beautiful holiday stationary.... jusat sayin :-)

Tarah said...

They all look great! and really, can you take a bad photo of Briggs?

Joan said...

I love the one with the logs in the snow.....when I start making cards, can you sell me a copy?