Monday, November 21, 2011

{GREAT} grandparents

As we continue the process of grafting this little Briggs into our family, one of the greatest joys has been watching our family love, love, love him.

Most of the time, when people talk about adoption, they say something like, "we just want to give a child a family." For Mark and I, this was certainly a part of our frequent answers to the question of "why adopt?" And boy-oh-boy has mister Briggs been blessed with an abundance of generous, loving, caring, over-the-moon family members.
Growing up, one of my greatest joys was getting to spend time with my grandparents. I can honestly say that knowing the four of them has made my life rich and full. It makes my heart so happy to know that Briggs will undoubtedly have grandparents who are as dedicated to him as mine were to me - and introducing Briggs to my own grandparents (his great-grandparents) has been amazing.

Back in August, when we arrived at the airport, my mom's mom was the first person to approach and hold Briggs. She had been telling me for months that she could "not wait to hold that baby." She proved it by not waiting one second longer than she had to to get her hands on him. It was one of the most precious moments of his whole homecoming day.

My dad's parents live in Illinois, so last weekend we hopped on a plan with Grandpa E.J. and headed off to spend the weekend with Nonna and Pa -- Nonna and Pa who spoiled the little britches right off of the boy.
In fact, Nonna gave Briggs his first sucker and for about 15 minutes I truly believe he thought he had entered heaven's pearly gates.
And after Pa invited Briggs to join him outside for a leaf-throwing party, Briggs crowned Pa his bestest friend in the whole wide world.
It was a short trip, but it meant the world to me. My grandparents are generous and have blessed me by loving my boy.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Becky, you are a very loving daughter and granddaughter. Thank you for expressing your heart.

I can just hear Briggs laughing at the leaves....