Wednesday, July 20, 2011

This is not an update

This is not an update because, well, there's nothing to update you on.

When we passed court on June 3rd, we were sure that we would bring our boy home by the end of July. Silly me - I was even so bold as to post the following timeline right out there in black and white.

#1 Briggs is issued a new birth certificate and passport (2-4 weeks)
#2 Our file is submitted to and reviewed by the US Embassy (1-2 weeks)
#3 We are invited to appear at the US Embassy in Ethiopia
#4 We book the first flight out of town and arrive in Addis as quickly as possible in order to
appear at the Embassy, collect Briggs's Visa, and BRING.HIM.HOME.

And what do I get for posting a timeline? A big-whole-lotta-nothing's-happening. That's right, it's been seven weeks and we haven't even made it to #2.

Our file can only be submitted on Thursdays and you can be sure that Thursdays are quite emotionally charged around the Kyle household. Tomorrow will mark the fifth Thursday of hopeful waiting.

It may happen. It may not.

This is hard. Harder than I ever imagined it would be.
But we're doing okay.
We are weary.

And honestly, if someone offered to knock me into a coma until the day I'm boarding a plane to bring my baby home, I would not.think.twice about taking him up on that offer.

If you're praying for us please ask God to give wisdom to the US Embassy workers who are reviewing adoption cases in Ethiopia.

Please also ask Him to give Mark and I - and all the other waiting families - an abundance of peace.

BUT - whatever you do - DO NOT ask God to give us patience. Seriously, we have plenty of that. Praying for patience for us would be like asking God to please provide financially for Bill Gates. And I'm pretty sure that when you ask God for patience, He responds by giving you an opportunity to practice patience.

In fact, I'm thinking that someone out there has been praying for patience for us and that's why we're in this mess in the first place.

I'm kidding.
Kind of.

Here's to getting good news on Thursday.

5 comments:

Jess said...

We, too, have ceased in the "asking for patience" department. The process stinks!

michele said...

Let it be tomorrow!!!! Thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Haha - you make me laugh! Praying for peace for you guys. Briggs will be here soon!

Anonymous said...

Love the coma idea AND the bill gates analogy... i guess today is a stinky day... :( praying for you becky!!!

Anne said...

Hi,
I've been following your blog for a year now, as I have a friend who is also adopting from Ethiopia. Thank you for your posts- they're teaching me and encouraging her. So...know that there are complete strangers praying for you. I hope good things happen(ed) today.